We are looking for a new Company Secretary to support Brixton Green’s Board to deliver effective governance. We are a community led organisation accountable to our members and place high importance on getting this right.
The Company Secretary will be responsible for:
- Taking responsibility for all the legal aspects of what we do – that means you will need to work with the Board and Director to ensure we are always acting within the law and according to our rules and objectives.
- Preparing our accounts to be submitted to the FCA with the support of our accountant and Treasurer.
- Organising our Annual General Meeting, including working with the Director to organise the event and manage the recruitment and voting process for trustee candidates.
- Organising monthly board meetings, including arranging dates, writing up minutes and sending out agendas.
- Updating our membership database, including adding new members and removing those who no longer live or work in Brixton.
This role presents a rare opportunity for applicants with other interests, such as law, accountancy, planning, architecture, housing, community development, and social enterprise to get real experience of a pioneering new model of development and exposure to senior people with high levels of expertise and experience.
Skills and experience required
We are looking for someone who:
- Can show a genuine commitment to our values and interest in what we are trying to achieve. You’ll need to be able to explain what we do to people and be passionate about it.
- Is highly personable. Brixton Green is about people and you will need to engage and get on with everyone who is involved with the project.
- Has strong organisational and administrative skills.
- Is fairly computer savvy: we will need you to be happy using word, excel and online tools like Dropbox, Doodle and WordPress (although the latter can be basic or willing to learn!).
- Is literate and numerate, as you’ll be dealing with numbers and will need to interpret legal documents (with support where you need it).
- Is willing to commit a few hours a week for at least six months. You will become a valuable member of our team – we don’t want to lose you after only a short period of time. You will need to attend monthly board meetings which are held on weekday evenings in Brixton and to organise the annual AGM. All other work can be completed remotely.
Please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] by Jan 31st. Your CV should be no more than 2 pages and the covering letter no more than 1.
The covering letter should set out why you’re interested, your relevant skills and experience and your commitment to working with us for at least six months. We’ll then shortlist candidates to meet with the current secretary before meeting with the Board of Trustees.
If you have any questions about Brixton Green or the role, please get in touch with Polly Walker on 07897892855 or [email protected]