Saturday 26th April: Opening event for Brixton Street Gym BBQ, Live Music & Community
Opening @ Number Six, Somerleyton Road Saturday 26th April
Brixton Green has leased the old kitchens on Somerleyton Road from the Council to use for community activity and to ensure Brixton people stay at the forefront of the redevelopment of Somerleyton Road.
Part of the building will be used for the amazing Blockworkout to set up the Brixton Street Gym. There’s loads of other activities planned for Number Six including youth clubs, enterprise workshops, dance, theatre, food growing, film showings and more.
Feedback from workshops
What is proposed for Somerleyton Road
New homes, a theatre and a chef school could transform Somerleyton Road.People want this space to do a lot of things. With your help we can make this happen in a different and exciting way – bringing out the best of Brixton.
- Community development trust & housing cooperatives: There are several ways of delivering the project and the way that is chosen will affect how the long-term stewardship can happen.The council’s preferred option is to establish a housing cooperative to manage the affordable housing, working with a community development trust embracing all the commercial and community spaces.
- Housing: The project must deliver affordable new homes at council rent levels. We will seek long term tenancies which provide residents with a sense of security.
- Jobs and employment: A key role for the community development trust will be to nurture local enterprise and provide training and employment for local people.
- Arts & Culture: Ovalhouse will bring a range of theatre and youth arts activities to contribute to Brixton’s cultural heritage.
- Sustainability: Environmental sustainability is a key driver for the project. A long term stewardship role for the trust means many of the sustainable initiatives can continue to thrive for decades.
Health & social care: An aspiration to bring local health and social care services to Somerleyton Road. Pursuing the right mix and working in partnership with the community will help us to deliver better local services.
All photos © Fiona Freund